Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Procrastination Problem

So, starting tomorrow, I have a new goal: stop procrastinating. (Yes, I'm aware of the irony in that sentence. But it's still technically the weekend, so this goal can start on Monday.)

I have two quotes that are kind of inspiring me in this direction: One is "Never leave for tomorrow what you can do today." The other is, "You will never change until you are utterly tired of the old way." Well, I am totally tired of my old way of postponing important things like papers until the last minute and then having to stay up crazy-late and rearrange my whole schedule just to finish them on time. And I'm even tired of procrastinating on "little" things like washing dishes and doing laundry because the longer I wait, the worse the task becomes.

I've analyzed my procrastination issues from every direction: I'm just a perfectionist, I just have too much to do anyway, all I need to do is re-prioritize my time, blah blah blah. The bottom line is that putting things off until the last minute is a big problem for me and I'm ready to FIX IT. I'm ready to start actually getting things done ahead of time, having those papers printed out and gathering dust before they're due, etc. I DO have time for the things that are important to me, and I need to just start putting first things first.

So here are my anti-procrastination goals for the week (feel free to keep me accountable):
  • Get ready to nail my Moot Court tryout on Friday and have all my background cases read by tomorrow.
  • Complete and format my evidence class outline by tomorrow night.
  • By next weekend, I want to have spent a good couple of hours working on the second draft of my case note and incorporating my faculty advisor's and editor's suggestions.
  • Edit my fellow student's note by Tuesday.
  • And here's the big one: complete a full draft of the appellee's brief by Friday even though it's not due till November 19th.
So that's it. I'm determined to get these things done sooner rather than later because eventually I have to do them anyway. So thank you, readers, for being my accountability partners as I try to overcome my procrastination issues--I hope to report on my progress soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?