Friday, September 7, 2012

Loving the Law School Life

So this week I wrapped up my third week of regular fall classes, started back to work part-time in the admissions office, joined the Mock Trial intra-school competition, picked a topic for my law review case note, finished editing my second manuscript, joined a 1L mentoring program, went to a bunch of other random meetings, and tried to fit in reading for class/ working on my appellate brief for legal writing on the side.

I have been on-the-go pretty much 24/7 since getting back to school a month ago, but it's all good because I really love everything I'm doing. I have a lot more on my plate than I did last year, but the advantage now is that I know the ropes and am not as freaked out by everything. But this definitely isn't 1L anymore! I don't think I've ever had this much going on at once before, with the possible exception of second semester of my senior year of college, but I am feeling so absorbed in all my projects and excited about all my activities. I also love all the people I'm getting to work with on different things, some of them old friends and some of them that I've just met in the past few weeks.

I do not know exactly where I'm going after law school is done. I mean, I don't even know for certain what state I want to take the bar exam in, or what kind of law I want to practice, or even if I want to use my degree for something different where I don't "practice law" at all. There are a lot of things I think I would love doing, though, and I will need my degree for those things, so I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing right now.

I had a little bit of a rocky, confusing journey to law school. Some of you know more of the story behind that, but suffice it to say that I did not expect to go to law school when I did or where I did. But it all worked out beautifully, even though I could never have planned it quite that way. I absolutely love it here, and pretty much every day I feel such a strong sense of confirmation that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Knowing that I am in the right place and doing the right thing is one of the best feelings. I don't need to know exactly where I am going and what I am doing in 2014 when I graduate. I will know all those things when the time is right, and for now, I am going to rest in knowing that I am supposed to be here, and I love it here. That is a blessing, and it is the encouragement that keeps me going when I have those days when I need sleep, caffeine, energy, a vacation, and a few more hours in my day.

Learn to love the place you're in, no matter where it is. And have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?