Monday, November 4, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Law Student

I don't know about you, but I love reading "day in the life" descriptions for people . . . I just think it's so interesting to get a glimpse of what someone does every day, especially if they have a career that I'm not familiar with. So in that vein, I thought I'd give you a day in my life. I don't know if some of you might be thinking about going to law school, or just wondering what a law student's typical schedule looks like. My first year of law school involved MUCH more reading and studying. This year involves a lot more editing manuscripts for law review and event planning for Moot Court, and I spend substantially more time on those tasks than I do on actual classes/ schoolwork.

So here was my Monday:

7:30am: I got up, showered, had an apple with peanut butter and my multivitamin, checked my emails, and got ready. I usually get up anywhere between 7 and 9 depending on when I actually went to bed. If I stay up till 2 getting things done, which I do about twice a week, I will get up at 9, but usually I go to bed around 12:30.

8:45am: Drove to campus. I live about two minutes away, which is amazingly convenient. I spent the next hour finishing up a manuscript before my 9:40 remedies class.

9:40-10:40am: class

10:40-noon: I worked on editing the business associations article I just got assigned this morning.

noon-1: class

1:00: I went back to my apartment, made and ate lunch, took out the trash, got books for my afternoon class, and just chilled for a little bit and read a magazine.

2:00: headed back to campus for legal ethics class and then went to class

3:20: met with IT to figure out how to do some editing on the Moot Court website and reviewed and approved our contract with the caterer for the banquet we're hosting after the competition (competition is NEXT weekend. I'm kind of freaking out). I sent some emails trying to coordinate getting bailiffs for the competition and figuring out the team pairings for the preliminary rounds, and just generally putting out a LOT of fires related to that.

4:30-6: finished editing the business associations article. Well, I need to give it at least one more run-through. But the serious editing is done.

6pm: came home and made/ ate dinner (a turkey sandwich, some surprisingly good Campbell's clam chowder, and grapes, in case you're wondering)

6:30-8:15: studied for my remedies class

8:30-9:30: gym

10-11pm: vacuumed, mopped my kitchen and bathroom floors, did a bunch of dishes, scrubbed my countertops and sink, and just generally did some serious and much-needed cleaning

And as we speak, I'm writing this post, trying to make a little more progress on my remedies outline (exams are in one month--don't even remind me), giving myself a French manicure because tomorrow I'm going to this really important networking event and need to look at least somewhat pulled together, and hopefully watching a little Netflix before I go to bed. Tomorrow I need to get the ball rolling really early because I will be gone for the networking event from 4-10pm (it's 2 hours away), which means I need to go to the gym first thing in the morning, and I have a law review meeting at 9:30am and also HAVE to edit and distribute the bench brief (summary of the competition problem and relevant case law for the Moot Court judges) no later than tomorrow. I also have a major advanced legal research project due on Thursday afternoon and am going to see a movie with friends on Wednesday night and haven't started the project, so I might need to get some stuff done on that tomorrow.

Anyway, this is a pretty typical day for me! I don't know if I made you all want to come to law school or totally turned you off to it, but this is my everyday life at the moment, and I'm doing my best to enjoy it as much as I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?