Monday, June 30, 2014

The Peace That Passes Understanding

So, first of all, for anyone wondering, the answer to the multiple choice question in the last post is B: the plaintiff recovers nothing because the modified comparative negligence statute bars recovery for anyone who is as negligent as or more negligent than the defendant--which we had here, because she was 50% at fault.

Second, I wanted to share a couple of verses with you in the way that they appear in the Amplified Bible, a translation that includes nuances and shades of meaning from the original Greek and Hebrew languages that don't show up in just a standard English translation. It's meant to recover a lot of the Biblical meaning that gets lost in translation. And I love the way Philippians 4:6-7 is translated in this version: "Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests) with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

That tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ. I love that description. It's the knowledge that it is WELL with your soul--whatever may come. It is well. It is a contentment and a rest that persists even in the face of the insanity of our world. It is a peace that can't be touched by whatever I face in the next month, or ever. It is that deep inner calm of knowing that the Lord directs my steps, goes before me and behind me, resides within me, fights mightily for me, strengthens me, and helps me, and I have full, unlimited access to God's power and presence because of what Jesus Christ has done for me. After all, no one is more capable than God--and He is on our side, empowering us, infusing inner strength into us, giving us the victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?