Friday, February 1, 2013

Breakdowns . . .

It has just been one of those weeks--frustrating, annoying, and SO long! I have had at least 12-hour days of work, classes, and meetings every day this week, and often longer. They've been the kind of days where you literally have no more than 15 minutes of free time in 12 hours because you're sprinting from one obligation to the next and trying to be everything to everybody. I admit that I have spread myself way too thin, but sometimes there are seasons in life where that happens and you just have to do the best you can.

This has also been one of those weeks where everything has been breaking down or in need of fixing for one reason or another--my computer, my car, my schedule, my plans, and even my health, as I've been dealing with some physical issues (which hopefully will turn out to be pretty minor). I haven't been going to the gym. I haven't been writing. I haven't been sleeping enough, or spending enough time with friends, or with God. And I miss it. I need to return to a healthier routine. Even though I don't think I really buy into the lie that my worth as a person is contingent on how much I can accomplish in a day, sometimes I sure act like it! It's easy for me to fall into the trap of thinking that I always have to do more. I have to study more, I have to read more, I have to research more, go to more meetings, work more hours, etc. But sometimes I just need to be still. Pause. Selah.

And it's been a week that has tried my patience in a lot of ways. Lately I've been in a place where I've had to work with a couple of people that I'll admit I really dislike. Being around someone who continually makes uncalled-for comments is certainly one way to learn patience, though! And it will get better soon. Until then, I'm going to look for the silver lining, and here are some things I'm definitely thankful for right now:

People who make me die laughing.
Catching up on The Biggest Loser on Hulu.com.
Music.
Golden delicious apples.
My warm and cozy apartment.
Leopard-print flats.
2 Corinthians 4. The whole chapter. Amazing.
The stranger who went out way of her way to help me find the office I was looking for on the undergrad campus today.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream.
People who remind me why I'm doing all this and why it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?