Friday, April 11, 2014

I Don't Really Know How to Be an Adult Yet

Seriously, there are so many things about being an adult that I just don't know how to deal with or do yet, or that my school has basically handled for me in the time I've been a student here. Sometimes I wonder if people still feel like they're not sure about adulthood when they're like 35, or if eventually you figure out how to deal with everything you have to deal with. For example, I am not really sure how to "do my taxes" because I have never made enough money to have to file taxes. I am also planning my move to the city right now, and I'm having to think about all kinds of things like getting renter's insurance, what kinds of questions I need to ask potential landlords, whether to use a moving company, and so on. (One thing is for certain, I am NOT driving a U-Haul up there by myself! That's just asking for trouble).

I also want to buy a house within three years or so, and I have no idea how to go about doing that either. Then there's things like getting started with a new health insurance plan, setting up retirement savings, establishing residency in this state (including getting a new driver's license and license plate), becoming a member of the state bar, etc., that all need to be handled in the next few months. I need to do financial aid exit counseling and decide whether to consolidate my student loans and I am, of course, in the process of planning a major trip abroad. And just in general, there is a lot going on in this last month of law school and in the summer to come. It's all exciting changes, but I'll freely admit that I have no idea how to handle many of these things and am just taking it as it comes.

It will be a big shift from being a student to being a "young professional," but I'm happy about what I'm doing and I can't wait to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?